BUNGALOWS

Gitanjali meets Bandra Bungalow owners and writes about their houses.

Gitanjali writes a wonderful blog on Bombay Architecture. She has profiled 7 Bandra bungalows so far. This is an opportunity to understand these magnificent houses and people who inherited them. I asked Gitanjali a few questions to find out why she writes on Bombay Architecture. Gitanjali Chandrasekharan is the Deputy Editor at Sunday Midday.   How many bungalows have you …

Interview with Alishka M Anand from @Bylanes_ofbandra

There are quite a few Bandra handles on social media. One of the most delightful handles on Instagram focusing on the bungalows of Bandra is @bylanes_ofbandra Alishka Anand runs the account and posts her interpretation on the names of these homes along with the pictures, which makes her Instagram account feel like a blog with some interesting stories to tell. …

Bandra’s Bungalows, a fast-disappearing heritage

This is a guest post by Wheels on our feet. Tucked inside the little lanes of Bandra are these old gems — one little cosy, charming bungalow after every 2-3 concrete highrise. Still standing amidst trees as old as them or perhaps, older, these bungalows are a silent testimony of the times that we have lost to ‘development/concretisation’. We looked …

Meet Editor & Publisher Mr. Clarence Gomes of Bandra Times

I love the Bazaar Road market lane, and have walked the lane a thousand times, on this path you can’t help but notice a beautiful 148-year-old house marked “Bandra Times”. What really can put a smile on your face is the Bandra times message blackboard, where they have a satire message written by hand. Its is the social media of …

A walk through Veronica Road in Ranwar

One morning as I gave my bike for washing, I decided to walk and discover Ranwar. Every time I enter Veronica Road, a sudden peace and beauty engulf my being, the noise of traffic disappears, and here you are in a place, where development and chaos haven’t been able to get a firm foothold. With the beautiful two storied old …

Mumbai architect Savio Lobo documents the dying structures of Bandra.

Twelve months of these street excursions have resulted in a 180-page book titled Bandra By Hand. Launched on Sunday, the book contains over 100 black-and-white sketches of known and lesser-known structures in Bandra. Armed with a sketchbook and a camera, architect Savio Lobo spent the last monsoon roaming the streets of Bandra, Mumbai. He had visited the suburb many times …

The grand old bird man of India Dr. Salim Ali’s Pali Hill Bungalow before it was pulled down.

This beauitful old bungalow picture was tweeted by Mr. Mahadkar, which made me look up Dr. Salim Ali. Pali Hill had one of India’s greatest orinthologists, Salim Ali, living there in this bungalow and was known to walk around Pali Hill with his binoculars and a notebook taking notes and listening to or making bird calls. Unfortuntely the beautiful bungalow …

Pictures of bandra Bungalows compiled over a year.

I shifted to bandra about a year back to work on this website and create a community. I love walking the streets of bandra/khar, there are some beautiful tree lined streets without much traffic and they have some sweet bungalows. I am trigger happy when it comes to clicking pictures of bungalows. Thankfully I had all my pictures on icloud …

Patkar Bungalow – Built in the late 1920s

[box]This article by Gitanjali Chandrasekharan first appeared in her blog on heritage homes — www.bombayarchitecture.wordpress.com — in August 2012. Chandrasekharan is a journalist with Mumbai Mirror and tweets @cgitanjali[/box] Stylist Aarti Patkar remembers a time when she could play on the road outside her house. Now, the traffic on the road is so heavy that a signal at 1 pm …

Only 11 bungalows remain on Pali Hill

This article from TOI is a bit dated, and things might have changed, but a great piece of journalism, republishing it again.  The felling of bungalows in the leafy and exclusive oasis of Bandra’s Pali Hill has been recorded with dismal regularity. But the pace of redevelopment—and the growth of multi-storey towers—is staggering. Of the 32 bungalows that dotted Pali Hill’s meandering …

Lost Heritage – Godiwala Bungalow at Mount Mary Road.

[quote]One by one, we all know, the beautiful bungalows will disappear, I wonder how many heritage bungalows are still remaining. Godiwala Bungalow was listed on the heritage list and was mysteriously taken out of the list. This is a nicely shot video of Godiwala Bungalow in 1999, unfortunately seems the bungalow was demolished in 2002. [/quote] Acclaimed Film Director Bimal Roy lived here before he …